Community Services Consortium

Serving Linn, Benton, and Lincoln counties in Oregon. Helping people. Changing lives.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

CSC Head Start Volunteers Are Appreciated


Shelby Keyes (above) and Stephanie Davis (left) two valuable volunteers for Head Start in Lincoln City.

“We have two young volunteers, Shelby and Stephanie in our Lincoln City Head Start classrooms who we hold dear,” said Suzanne Miller, Director of CSC Lincoln County Head Start Program.

Shelby Keyes is a graduate of the High School Special Education Program who volunteers for Head Start. She helps in the kitchen, in administration and at the front desk.

“I work in the mornings,” said Shelby. “I wash dishes, vacuum, help serve lunch, set up carts for lunch, shelve books and other things in the office. I really like the work I do here.”

“We really appreciate her work and the extra set of hands of both Shelby and our afternoon volunteer, Stephanie. They help us out,” said Sue Butler, CSC Head Start Site Coordinator and Family Services Coordinator.
“Stephanie our afternoon volunteer has a wonderful sense of empathy for the kids and they love her.”
“working with kids would be my perfect job when I graduate,” said Stephanie.

“Below is Stephanie Davis’s senior project for the Special Education Program. It is on display at the Lincoln City Head Start site.

I work at Head Start. Let me tell you about my work. Head Start is for low income families and their children ages 3 to 5 years old. There are 80 children in the program, 40 in the morning and 40 in the afternoon. There are two classes in the morning and two in the afternoon. Class A and Class B with 20 in each class. I do a lot of things during my work day. I help the teachers set up for lunch and snack. I help clean up after each meal or snack. Sometimes I read to students or help with arts and crafts. When we go outside I slide with them and push them on the swings. When it’s time to come in, I help get them ready. When we are inside I help them put their coats away. If a student gets hurt I help the teacher make sure they are okay. I also help them tie their shoes and write their names. I enjoy my work at Head Start: It keeps me busy and happy.

Welcome to CSC's blog and e-newsletter!

These communications tools can be used to make announcements, acknowledge donors and volunteers, post videos and slideshows–whatever we want to share with our online community.

There are 3 ways to deliver info to stakeholders:

  1. The blog itself, which can be linked to our current website
  2. Email news blasts (blog articles sent via email as eNewsletters)
  3. RSS Feed (subscribers read in Google Reader or other feed reader, can also send posts to Facebook and Twitter)
We're excited about these communication tools and look forward to both your input and feedback for continuing improvement and positive information-sharing.

If you have agency/program information you'd like posted on this blog, please send full text and/or photos and videos, ideas, or suggestions to Janet Hessel and she will take the next steps.

Enjoy!